Monday, February 20, 2012

About Us

February 20, 2012

Welcome! Here is a bit of information on the creators of this blog...

Rachel - I am currently a senior at UWM in the dance program. I'm working toward a BA in dance and a Minor in somatics. After graduation, I hope to be work toward a clinical doctorate in physical therapy. I am extremely interested in the cross over of dance, somatics, and physical healing. When it comes to dance, I have a need to create. For this reason I love improvisation, and even simply choreographing. Much of my creative inspiration stems from anatomy and the systems of the body. Movement is truly unique way to explore these systems. I am also obsessed with the processes and form involved in a dance. When I create the choreography is rarely driven by the content, rather the form is driven by the content.  I think creation is the greatest gift a person has to give the world, especially art. I have a great love and appreciation for all art forms. I believe that no art from is independent from any other art from. Rather, music, dance, and visual art, are all constantly feeding off of one another and inspiring new work.

Carrie - I am a junior pursing a degree in dance at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I began taking dance lessons at the age of five and well…never stopped! I've trained in many dance techniques over the years; ballet, tap, jazz, modern, pointe, hip hop, and african to name a few. I am also interested in somatics and have found much interest in the Alexander Technique this year. I have goals to become a professional dancer and choreographer once I graduate from college. I would love to collaborate with some companies in the Milwaukee area and throughout the Midwest in the coming years. I have interest in getting my graduate degree in Dance at some point, too. I love all art forms and created the visual artwork for the background of this blog, which is an edited version of a picture of him with other dancers from 1961. My three year old son, Kaden, has become an irreplaceable part of my life and a great influence in my work. My grandmother has been a strong influence in my life because of her radiant personality and love of dancing. Although she never had any formal dance lessons, my grandma was the first one out on the dance floor doing the jitterbug back in her day at the Eagles Club in Milwaukee. She is really the one who drew me to dance when I was a child; I would participate in her dance exercise group three times a week while my mother was at work. She is currently in her 80’s and still keeping up with dancing quite well, she inspires me to stay dedicated to what I love. I value athleticism in dancing, unique creativity and thoughtfulness. I enjoy dances that have theatrical elements, as I am interested in acting and theater. Works that defy stereotypes and challenge ways of thinking. Dance is my way of life and the way I best communicate with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Rachel

I am currently a senior at UWM in the dance program. I'm working toward a BA in dance and a Minor in somatics. After graduation, I hope to be work toward a clinical doctorate in physical therapy. I am extremely interested in the cross over of dance, somatics, and physical therapy. When it comes to dance, I have a need to create. For this reason I love improvisation, and even simply choreographing. I think creation is the greatest gift a person has to give the world, especially art. I have a great love and appreciation for all art forms. I believe that no art from is independent from any other art from. Rather, music, dance, and visual art, are all constantly feeding off of one another and inspiring new work.