Monday, April 2, 2012

Material For the Spine

Material for the Spine: Video


About the work:
 This work is an exploration of the movement possibilities within the muscles surrounding the spine, as well as, the connections between the head, pelvis, and vertebrae. Paxton developed this work in 1986, after he had already developed Contact Improvisation. Created as an exploration or an exercise, this is a solo practice that is taught in workshops and intensives to help strengthen the foundation of person's movement.-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Rachel

I am currently a senior at UWM in the dance program. I'm working toward a BA in dance and a Minor in somatics. After graduation, I hope to be work toward a clinical doctorate in physical therapy. I am extremely interested in the cross over of dance, somatics, and physical therapy. When it comes to dance, I have a need to create. For this reason I love improvisation, and even simply choreographing. I think creation is the greatest gift a person has to give the world, especially art. I have a great love and appreciation for all art forms. I believe that no art from is independent from any other art from. Rather, music, dance, and visual art, are all constantly feeding off of one another and inspiring new work.